Fall cleaning is as important as spring cleaning. Besides the need to winterize your home, fall is a good time to do routine maintenance and home cleaning before the winter weather comes. Be sure to check your home insurance with your agent at First Florida Underwriters Inc. to adjust the coverage for changes that happened over the last year and update replacement costs.
Here is a checklist to help remind you of things to do to get ready for winter:
- Wash Windows – Choose a cloudy day for this job to make it easier to see streaks on the glass. Old newspaper is terrific to use for buffing the glass dry after spraying it with glass cleaner. This job is easier when two people work together. One stays inside, the other cleans the outside window glass at the same time.
- Window Coverings – Vacuum drapes using an upholstery attachment. Use a vacuum brush for blinds.
- Walls – Wipe walls with a dust mop, wash them, and dry them.
- Ceiling Light Fixtures – Dust off light fixtures. Remove globes and glass coverings to wash them with dish soap.
- Furniture – Vacuum upholstery and spot clean if necessary.
- Kitchen Cupboards – Empty the cupboards, wash them inside and out, replace shelf liners with new ones, and reorganize the contents when putting everything back.
- Refrigerator – Move the refrigerator away from the wall, dust off the condenser coil at the back and clean the area under the refrigerator. Remove contents and wash the shelves. Defrost the freezer section if needed.
- Carpets – Use steam-cleaning equipment or have professionals do the carpet cleaning.
- Wood Flooring – Buff out any scratches and apply a new coat of floor finish.
- Closets – Remove clutter and reorganize contents. Get rid of unneeded stuff.
- Test Smoke Detectors – Replace old batteries with new ones.
- Furnace Maintenance – Have the furnace checked for proper operation and replace the filter with a new one.
- Chimneys – Have a professional sweep the chimneys and clean the flues.
- Weatherproofing – Check weather stripping and caulk around windows and doors to prevent air leaks.
- Gutters – Remove debris and clean out the downspouts.
- Roof – Repair any damage to prevent leaks.
- Landscaping – Trim trees to prevent damage from falling branches.
- Patio Furniture – Put outside furniture away in storage.
- Drain Hoses – Remove water from garden hoses and put them away in storage.
This checklist will help you be ready for winter and have a nice holiday season.